High-voltage power contractor Smith Brothers has been making waves in the electrical engineering industry over the past few years. Established in 1999 by brothers Richard and John, the company has gone from strength to strength as a result of strategic planning, business development and the delivery of consistently efficient, cost-effective and reliable services to its ever-expanding client base.
Following an office relocation at the start of 2017, fuelled by a trebled turnover, the firm enlisted Scriba’s expertise to help propel its market reputation and achieve greater recognition within target sectors – including industrial, energy, commercial and utilities.
Here, business development manager Danielle Tile explains how the PR partnership came about and how Scriba’s support is helping the business thrive…
How did you find Scriba?
We were looking for a PR agency and Scriba was recommended to us by a contact at Ramsdens Solicitors in Huddersfield.
Why did you decide that you needed PR?
Smith Brothers had reached a stage in its growth where it needed greater representation in the marketplace. In order to capitalise on the technical expertise, skills and experience within the firm, we recognised that we needed to boost our visibility – especially bearing future goals in mind, with a focus on growing the business to a size where a viable sale could be anticipated.
What were the objectives of enlisting Scriba’s services?
The primary objectives were to raise the company’s profile and professionalise our marketing approach, so that our achievements and notable business news were reaching the right people in a consistent and coordinated manner.
What has Scriba helped to achieve for your company?
Alongside helping us to establish much greater recognition in the marketplace – both regionally and nationally – Scriba has overseen the overhaul of our UK and Ireland websites, plus assisting with ongoing marketing activity.
Through this continual PR and communications support, Scriba has helped us achieve:
- Website launches and ongoing content creation – for both our UK and Ireland sites. Alongside project managing the development of both sites, Scriba has written all webpage content and coordinates ongoing updates when needed. The team additionally takes care of regular web news stories and case study articles for the websites, as well as managing the involvement of our third-party website and SEO partners.
- Presence within target industry publications – through the coordination of regular press releases (showcasing our business growth, senior appointments and notable contracts) alongside securing interviews, project spotlights, authoritative commentaries, profile pieces and guest blogs via targeted and proactive media relations. This has seen us featuring in key industry titles and technical journals – including Electrical Review, Electrical Times, Electrical Contracting News, Electrical Engineering, Energy Management, The Energy Industry Times, Energy Engineering, Renewable Energy Magazine, reNEWS, Solar Power Portal, Network, Power Technology, Powergrid International and The Construction Index.
- Regional press coverage – via press releases focusing on notable projects and significant company news, as well as through coordinating site visits, interviews and Q&A features. This has helped to boost the profile of both the company and senior board members within regional business publications.
- Awards recognition – by compiling strong written entries for industry and regional business awards. This has led to us being shortlisted as a finalist for the Electrical Review Awards 2018, the Electrical Industry Awards 2018, the Yorkshire Post Excellence in Business Awards 2018 and the Examiner Business Awards 2018, as well as winning the Eaton Smith Business of the Month Award in June 2018.
- Strong social media presence – initially via conducting a workshop with an in-house member of staff, and more recently by taking on the overall management and content population of our Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn accounts. On Twitter, this has resulted in a 11% increase in impressions and a 105% rise in engagements.
- Greater strategic marketing – via a monthly mailshot to prospective clients, as well as ongoing additional support. This includes coordinating and writing copy for wider marketing materials, such as fliers, print advertisements, directory listings and exhibition stands, to name just a few.
How have these achievements helped towards your business objectives?
Alongside notably increasing our brand recognition through regular articles within industry publications and regional titles, Scriba has been an asset to our wider business development too. For instance, we’ve won new clients as a direct result of the monthly mailshot – potentially equating to works for over £1m.
What would you say were the three key plus points about your relationship/working with Scriba?
- Having Scriba on hand to assist with mailshots, awards submissions, web news stories, case studies and wider marketing activity, is a huge support to our company operations – it’s like having a second Business Development Manager on hand to help with the work I don’t have time to do!
- The team is so organised and efficient, and a pleasure to work with. No job is too big or small for them and their writing skills are fantastic.
- Our partnership with Scriba has had a very positive impact on our proactive placement in the marketplace.