Here are our 6 top tips to tackle an internship, to ensure that you get the most out of your experience:
- Do your research – Before joining know what you’re getting yourself into. Do some research on the company; find out where you will fit in and what is expected of you. You don’t have to be an expert, but showing you’re interested will make a great first impression.
- Get stuck in – Seems obvious, but this can be quite daunting. Do all of your work to the best of your ability. No-one will expect you to be able to master it all straight away, so treat each task as an opportunity to learn new skills and gain confidence. Make sure to listen to advice others have to offer, it’s better to try and fail than to not try at all!
- Speak up – Ask questions! It doesn’t matter if you to know everything. If you don’t grasp something at first, ask for help or a quick recap. Don’t feel as though you have to prove what you know straight away. Remember it’s better to ask questions than to waste time doing the wrong thing.
- Be proactive – Involve yourself within the company. Be confident; if you have an idea, share it. Contributing to discussions will show your interest and willingness to succeed within the placement. Step out of your comfort zone and take on new challenges. By accepting more responsibility, you will expand your skill set and prove you are capable of more complex work.
- Ask for feedback – It is important to reflect on your work. That’s how you’ll get to know what your strengths are, and what you need to work on. Learning how you could have improved on this occasion will ensure you’ll be more successful next time. Take advantage of any feedback and use it to enhance your work.
- Make a journal – Keep a log of what you get up to and ask for copies of your work to build up a portfolio. Having something to show for your internship could help you secure your next role. Don’t forget to ask for a reference and update your CV of your latest experience too!
And above all, enjoy it!